en el

Polichrono

en el
+ -

Book online

Polichrono

Polichrono

\/

Polichrono

The history of Polyhrono begins in 650 BC, when they came to the Kassandra peninsula Eretria and founded the colony of Naples, which, despite "all the barbarian invasions managed to survive until 540 AD when it was destroyed by the Huns. In the 11th century, gathered in this region agro-pastoralists and built the village "Polyhro" which named so because of the many flowers that were there. The village, during the revolution of 1821, was burned and destroyed. Some years later,few survivors who had run away to save their lives, they returned and rebuilt the village, which due to its verbal corruption was named Polichrono.

The history of Polyhrono begins in 650 BC, when they came to the Kassandra peninsula Eretria and founded the colony of Naples, which, despite "all the barbarian invasions managed to survive until 540 AD when it was destroyed by the Huns. In the 11th century, gathered in this region agro-pastoralists and built the village "Polyhro" which named so because of the many flowers that were there. The village, during the revolution of 1821, was burned and destroyed. Some years later,few survivors who had run away to save their lives, they returned and rebuilt the village, which due to its verbal corruption was named Polichrono

One of the few world sundials of Greco­Roman times, having intact identified, retrieved during excavations Polichrono Chalkidiki. This finding is even more important, as sundials were made for this latitude, that was accurate only to the place where usually manufactured. The clock of Polychrono is so constructed that may indicate the correct time each day both in Halkidiki and in Rome, France or China. The archaeologist of 16 Prehistoric and Classical Antiquities, Bettina Tsigarida, which has dedicated many years of professional activity in the Halkidiki region,especially the ancient Kassandrias, was rewarded with this finding but also with the unique elements that pulled for viticulture and beekeeping on the Halkidiki peninsula, in ancient times.The clock was located in a building of late antiquity Polichrono and the information given is impressive clarity. "The clock consists of a hemispherical surface, which are engraved eleven lines which separate it into twelve parts, corresponding to the hours of the day. Vertical in these three other incised lines corresponding to the winter solstice, equinox and the summer solstice. Inthe middle of the hemispherical surface is mounted a bronze scale, which shades the hemispheric and depending on the position of the twelve parts shows the time of day. The shadow of the watch has the same length all hours of the day, but change length depending on the time of year.The shorter length is observed when the winter solstice and gradually increased up to the maximum during the summer solstice. So the owners of the clock were able to calculate not only the hours of the day, and the date, "said Mrs. Tsigarida newspaper" Ethnos ". According to the archaeologist, "in Halkidiki should be reached as an offering in a temple, perhaps of Zeus Ammon."

The visitor should observe closely the church of Agios Athanasios (1912), patron of the village square of Christ with the Church of the Nativity of Christ, which dates from 1863 and finally the open mill with the press. It is also worth to visit the ancient cemetery and the wooded hill of the Acropolis of the ancient city. It can also savor indigenous highest quality products like olive oil,honey, fruits and fish.

All rights reserved www.summerdream.com.gr 2015 | Created by BOOKRES